Hugh grew up in Napa, California at a time when wineries were part of the mixed agricultural heritage of the area. He learned hard work from his earliest jobs: picking grapes, mowing lawns, and winery and construction labor. That work ethic allowed him to pay his way through college.
His parents, Tom and Maureen Bussell, raised five children in Napa. Maureen worked as a nurse and Tom worked for a local tractor dealership.
- U.C. Berkeley – Physics
- San Francisco State University – California Teaching Credential
- Responsible for information development at Workday, enabling software developers to integrate external systems with Workday.
- Taught high-school Math and Science at James Logan High School in Union City and at Albany High School in Albany.
- Worked as a sales engineer, assisting technology companies to select semiconductors for design into their products. Notable customers included Apple Computer, Silicon Graphics, and Sun Microsystems.
- Managed international training organizations at two companies, responsible for selling and delivering training on new technologies.
- Board member of Uncle Credit Union
- Board member of CrossWinds Church in Dublin
- Volunteer at Federal Correctional Institution, Dublin, teaching inmates public speaking and leadership to give them the communication skills needed to get a job and keep it
- Served on the board of Tri-Valley Athletics, a local 501(c)3 public charity, supporting youth athletics and elite post-collegiate athletes training for the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing
- Served as Cubmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster for Pack and Troop 726 in Castro Valley
- Married for 32 years to his college sweetheart, Gayle
- Three children. All attended public schools in Livermore. The two oldest have graduated from college, and the third is now a college freshman.